South Miami Neurology

Tips for Florida’s 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season

As the 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season kicks off, Florida residents must take proactive steps in preparing themselves for the upcoming hurricane season. Florida’s unique geography and climate make it particularly vulnerable to hurricanes, and being prepared can make all the difference in ensuring the safety and well-being of you and your loved ones.

Understand Your Risk

Florida’s coastal and inland areas are both susceptible to hurricane impacts. Stay informed about the specific risks in your community, whether it’s storm surge, flooding, or high winds. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts above-normal hurricane activity in the Atlantic basin this year. They said an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season, and a 5% chance of a below-normal season.

NOAA is forecasting between 17 to 25 total named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher). Of those, 8 to 13 are to become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 4 to 7 major hurricanes (category 3, 4, or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). Forecasters have a 70% confidence in these ranges.

Utilize resources like NOAA, National Hurricane Center (NHC), and local weather services for the latest updates and risk assessments.

2024 Hurricane Outlook

Neurological conditions, such as epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease, require continuous and precise management. When hurricanes strike, the disruption they cause can be particularly challenging for individuals with these conditions. Access to medication becomes a critical concern as pharmacies might be closed, and transportation systems may be down. Ensuring that you have an ample supply of medication before a hurricane hits is vital.

Patients should maintain at least a one to two-week supply of their medications. This includes not only prescription drugs but also over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. It’s important to keep these medications in a waterproof, easy-to-carry container to protect them from water damage and to ensure they are accessible if evacuation becomes necessary. Additionally, keeping an updated list of medications, dosages, and prescribing doctors can be lifesaving if medical help is needed during an evacuation.

Beyond medication, individuals with neurological conditions must consider other aspects of their care. This includes ensuring that any medical equipment, such as wheelchairs, CPAP machines, or oxygen tanks, are ready for use and have backup power options if needed. It’s also helpful to identify nearby hospitals or shelters that are equipped to handle special needs, including power outages that could affect medical equipment.

Preparing for hurricanes requires thoughtful planning, especially for those with neurological conditions. By taking proactive steps, patients can ensure their health and safety are maintained even in the face of nature’s most challenging events.

Develop a Hurricane Emergency Plan

Creating a comprehensive emergency plan is essential. Communication plans are crucial. Patients should inform caregivers, family members, and friends of their condition and specific needs during a hurricane. This network can provide critical support if regular services are disrupted. Finally, mental health should not be overlooked. The stress of a hurricane can exacerbate neurological symptoms, so having strategies for relaxation and support, such as mindfulness exercises or virtual counseling sessions, can be incredibly beneficial. This should include:
Evacuation Routes – Know the official evacuation routes and have a plan for where you will go. Inform family members of the route and destination.
Communication Plan – Designate a family member or friend outside the hurricane zone to serve as a point of contact. Ensure all family members have this person’s contact information.
Pet Safety – Include plans for your pets. Ensure they have identification and that you have a safe place for them.

Put Together a Disaster Supply Kit

A well-stocked disaster supply kit can be a lifesaver. Your kit should include:
Water – At least one gallon per person per day for three days.
Non-Perishable Food – A three-day supply of food that requires no refrigeration.
Medications – A week’s supply of prescription and over-the-counter medications.
First Aid Supplies – Bandages, antiseptic, pain relievers, and all necessary medical equipment.
Flashlights and Batteries – Ensure you have enough batteries for all your flashlights and radios.
Important Documents – Copies of insurance policies, identification, and bank records in a waterproof container.

Prepare Your Home

Protecting your home from potential damage is key:
Install Storm Shutters – If you don’t have them, consider installing storm shutters or pre-cutting plywood to cover windows.
Secure Outdoor Items – Bring in outdoor furniture, decorations, and anything that can become a projectile in high winds.
Check Your Roof – Ensure your roof is in good condition and secured to prevent wind damage.

Stay Informed

During hurricane season, staying informed is vital. Keep a battery-powered weather radio handy to receive real-time updates. Sign up for local alerts and follow trusted sources on social media for the latest information.

Review Insurance Policies

Ensure your insurance coverage is adequate. Flood insurance is not typically included in standard homeowners’ policies, so you may need separate flood insurance. Review your policies and understand what is covered and what is not covered.

Community Involvement

Engage with your community to bolster preparedness. Participate in local emergency planning meetings and volunteer for local preparedness programs. Communities that work together recover faster.

June is a crucial time for Florida residents to ensure they are ready for the hurricane season. By understanding your risks, developing a plan, preparing your home and emergency kit, staying informed, and engaging with your community, you can significantly increase your resilience to hurricanes. Preparedness is a collective effort, and together, we can weather the storm. Stay safe, stay prepared! For more information and resources, visit NOAA and the National Hurricane Center’s website.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content